Magnet application opens the third Monday in December annually. One application per student will be accepted. However, if you have more than one child, an application must be completed for each child applying for a Magnet Program.
Falsifying information on the Magnet application will invalidate the application, and the student’s application will be excluded from the selection process.
- The online application for the DeSoto ISD Magnet Programs opens on December 15, 2020 and will close at midnight on January 31, 2021.
- Students do not have to re-apply for admission to the same magnet program in which they are currently enrolled.
- DeSoto ISD is a Selective Enrollment district for elementary, middle and high school students. Students wishing to apply who reside outside of the district’s attendance boundaries must meet criteria and complete the Selective Enrollment paperwork if accepted into a Magnet Program.
- Only one application per student is permitted.
- Students may apply for up to three magnet programs by indicating the most preferred program as your first choice. Once your application is submitted, you will not be able to change the order of your choices.
- Program enrollment is established by grade level and school capacity.
- Applying for a program does not guarantee an offer.
- Students must meet eligibility criteria for the selected program and be able to take magnet courses.
- All eligible applicants who meet the application deadline will be considered for available seats based on a randomized lottery selection. If there are more eligible applicants requesting admission to a specific magnet program than the number of seats available, the same approach will be take place in regard to the applicant’s second and third choice.
- Once an applicant accepts a magnet offer, the applicant is no longer eligible for other DeSoto ISD magnet programs during that application year.
- DeSoto ISD offers magnet programs for students entering grades K-9.
- Applicants for a Fine Arts magnet program must complete the required application and participate in an audition to be considered for placement.
- Most recent Report Card (all current DeSoto ISD and outside students).
- Most recent utility bill for address and residency verification.
- Applications will not be considered without the necessary documentation on file.
- Eligible students who submit applications by the application window deadline will receive a confirmed receipt of their application by email.
- Magnet program interviews/auditions will take place in February following the application period.
- Students will be notified of program acceptance in the second week of March following the application period.
- DeSoto ISD gives a sibling preference for those meeting the criteria and if space is available. For the purpose of this preference, siblings are defined as follows: brothers and sisters, step-brothers and step-sisters, or half -brothers and half-sisters living at the same address.
- To be eligible for this preference, the sibling must meet any academic or related criteria for the program and must submit an application per the application requirements.
- Consideration for sibling preference is given to eligible applicants on a space-available basis and must be indicated on the application.
- Failure to apply by the deadline or indicate sibling preference on the application will result in denial of the sibling preference for the younger sibling.
Transportation is provided for magnet program students outside of their neighborhood schools on a case by case basis. If a student is enrolled in a magnet program at his or her zoned school, the student will be eligible for transportation according to district policy.